Perthshire - 2 days
This 2-day tour takes in the best of some of the lesser visited parts of Highland Perthshire, climbing to hilltops for their views, treks through big tree country to waterfalls and to shielings - the haunting ruins of summer crofts in the hills. The tour includes visiting a ruined cathedral, a tranquil woodland garden on a hillside, a fine castle, a crannog (pre-historic lake dwelling), an intriguing Pictish stone slab and a wildlife sanctuary in a truly picturesque location.
Itinerary for Speyside Tour & Walk in small groups
- Depart Edinburgh or Stirling at 09:30
- The route up north will take us through the celebrated scenery of Deeside, where we’ll do a couple of walks in the Caledonian pine forests, with an option to visit the Lochnagarr distillery instead of walking along one route.
- Drive through the Cairngorms to Speyside.
- Visit the Whisky shop in Dufftown with 600 varieties of whiskies on offer – something of a magical grotto for whisky aficionados.
- Dine out in an atmospheric bar and restaurant and then overnight in a beautiful country B&B that offers comfort and a quiet retreat
Day 2 -
- Explore on foot one of the many former smugglers’ trails that pass through the hills, with an option of dropping off the non-walkers at Glen Livet distillery that has a great café as well as offering tours.
- Lunch at the distillery.
- The return route will be different from the route yesterday, going via the Drumochter Pass, with a walk at the Hermitage Waterfalls.
- Arrive back Edinburgh, Glasgow or Stirling at 18:30
Costs: £235pp when sharing a room, including all transport and qualified walking guide. Excludes meals, other than breakfast, & drinks.
Single room supplement: £290, includes all of the above (excludes meals, other than breakfast, and drinks).